Sunday, January 4, 2015

Launch Week


It's Launch week for BLOWN RED.

A very exciting time to be sure.

So much is happening:

1. I wrote an op-ed for the National Post on Elizabeth George and how she inspired my writing journey. I wrote another for The 49th Shelf - my top ten favourite Canadian books that influenced me while I was writing my own novel. Each took many hours to complete. I wonder if more experienced writers can whip these off?

2. The TV rights to the Signy Shepherd series have been sold to One Two Productions in association with ITV Studios America. Amazing. A real shocker.

3. There is a launch party scheduled for Jan 22 (which is going to be a lot of fun!)

4. As a member of the Crime Writer's of Canada, I will be pitching my book at the Ontario Librarians Superconference. Not worried about this one. I have two minutes and more than enough to say - and it's easy to talk to strangers.

5. I will attending the Book Lover's Ball as a guest author. I feel a lot better about hosting a table since I found a super cute dress. If I can manage the high heels for three hours, I'm golden.

6. I'm really looking forward to giving a talk to aspiring authors in North Bay in the near future.

All good - right?

Not exactly.

I am NOT looking forward to being interviewed on Canada AM this week. Looking forward to appearing on TV is like anticipating a nasty medical procedure. Only worse. It is like getting a colonoscopy live on TV, and the doctor finding a cancerous polyp while the audience looks on in shocked silence. Serious schadenfreude.

Apparently, I'm not alone.

My agent told me about an author she represented who had written a very timely and topical book. The author was booked on all the big talk shows in the U.S. and Canada. Everyone was looking forward to hearing his/her thoughts - and the publisher was looking forward to the resulting sales bump. A week before the publicity parade was to begin - the author backed out. Apparently, he/she just couldn't do it. Couldn't take the stress.

Book sales suffered big time. Still, I totally understand where that author is coming from. It is very difficult to do something so new - and in such a public way. The fear that you will make a fool of yourself is almost paralyzing.

So, for all you people who are out there breathlessly awaiting my TV debut - please go easy on me. If I fumble or bumble, blush, or rush my words - please try and LAUGH with me. Cause, that's what I'm going to try and do - no matter what the outcome.  

Life is to short and the universe is too vast to sweat the small stuff.







2 comments:

  1. I enjoy your style. Coming from a writer, though, there are too many "typos"

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for providing feedback. I appreciate your comments.